Based on the hair type classification, curly hair may be Type 2, 3, or 4. Under these types, there are sub-categories like 2a and 3c. The most difficult to manage are probably Type 3a up to 4c hair.
Type 3 hair ranges from tight to loose loops. Some can have a sheen, but they’re highly prone to frizzing.
Type 4 hair is more commonly called kinky hair. This type of hair has a natural spongy and very dry texture. The curls can range from coarse to fine. Some have small coiled curls and others can be zig-zag.
To properly maintain this type of hair, it’s important to learn the proper way of maintaining it. This involves using the right tools and products.
TOP 5 HAIR DRYERS FOR CURLY HAIR
One of the styling tools you have to invest in if you have curly hair is a hair dryer. There are some types of hair dryers that are suitable for curly and kinky hair. Here are the top 5 hair dryers on the market.
Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
The first on the list is the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer. This may be one of the most high-tech hair dryers you could ever get as of today.
One of the key features it has is the smart heat control. It measures the temperature 20 times every second. This allows the hair dryer to regulate the heat and protect your hair from heat damage.
The Dyson Supersonic has 4 heat settings and 3-speed settings. It’s also high-powered at 1600w to dry hair faster, and it’s not as loud as its competitors.
- Dries hair quicker than other brands
- Less long-term damage
- A bit heavier than other hair dryers
- Needs to be stopped when changing temperatures or speeds
JINRI 1875W Professional Salon Hair Dryer
The JINRI Professional Salon Hair Dryer boasts of 1875w of power. This means you can dry your hair for a shorter time compared to other hair dryers.
Another great thing about the JINRI 1875w is that it creates negative ions. This helps reduce frizz while adding shine to your hair. It also has an infrared technology feature that may help evenly dry up to the follicles.
Unlike most hair dryers, the JINRU 1875 has a wide diffuser. This would allow drying inside and outside your hair shaft. Even drying will prevent frizz and hair breakage.
- Even distribution of air and heat
- Prevents frizz while creating shine
- Powerful enough to minimize drying time
- Its heavy weight may cause strain
- Large diffuser can be annoying for people with shorter curls
Remington D3190 Hair Dryer
The Remington D3190 may look like any ordinary hair dryer. But, it’s packed with a lot of great features that many curly-haired people will love.
Besides its affordable price, it’s also popular because of its damage control features. It has a ceramic coating, ionic conditioning, and tourmaline material. These three features would help avoid great and long-term damage.
You’d also need less time for drying because of its 1875w power. It has 2 speed and 3 heat settings. You’ll also get a diffuser and a concentrator for your different styling needs.
- Includes two removable nozzles
- Powerful motor
- Damage control features prevent long term heat damage
- Plug shape is inconvenient
- May not provide enough heat unlike its competitors
BaBylissPRO Porcelain Ceramic 2800 Dryer
The ceramic feature of the BaBylissPRO 2800 Dryer can give non-damaging heat. This feature is best for people with frizzy or curly hair.
This is the most powerful hair dryer on the list at 2000w. The power of the BaBylissPRO 2800 can cut down drying time. It has 6 heat and speed settings, which makes it a favorite by salon stylists.
It also has an ionic technology feature which removes static from the hair. This results in healthy-looking hair. It also has a removable filter at the rear.
- Salon-quality hair drying power
- Provides adequate heat
- A bit heavier than other hair dryers
Revlon 1875W Infrared Hair Dryer
Revlon hair dryers are among the most popular and bestselling models on the market. Aside from their reasonable price, they’re also packed with great features.
The Revlon 1875w features an infrared heating technology. This can turn your hair incredibly shiny and soft. It also uses an ionic tourmaline technology that can reduce frizz.
It has 2 heat and speed settings. It also comes with a diffuser and a concentrator. The 1875w hair dryer can give you great drying power.
- Helps keep hair’s natural moisture
- Includes 2 styling nozzles
- Creates a loud noise
EASY DIY HAIR DRYING ROUTINE
Once you have your handy hair dryer, it’s time to learn how to dry your curly locks properly. Here’s a simple hair drying routine you could follow.
- Wash your hair with your chosen shampoo and conditioning products. Make sure to use lukewarm water. Hot water can dry out your hair even more.
- Dry excess water before blow-drying your hair. Use a cotton towel or cloth to blot your hair. Dry it gently without disturbing your natural curl pattern.
- Next, apply some leave-in conditioner and let it sit for a while. Let your hair absorb the conditioner that will keep your natural curls moisturized.
- Then, apply a heat protectant. Frequent hair drying or styling applies intense heat to your hair. This can increase the chances of breakage. Using a heat protecting product can lessen hair damage from your hair dryer.
- It’s now time to dry your hair. Pop on the diffuser nozzle of your hair dryer and set the temperature on low or medium heat. Begin to diffuse your hair from the roots starting from the nape.
Dry your hair in circular movements for maximum lift. Try to avoid drying the ends of your hair. The ends can dry and frizz easily.
- Repeat step 5 in small portions of your hair. This will make it easier to handle than to jump in drying all of your hair at once. Once your hair is about 80% dry, stop using the hair dryer. Let your hair dry on its own.
- You can add a hair heat protecting serum when your hair is completely dry.
HOW FREQUENT SHOULD YOU USE A HAIR DRYER
It’s a well-known fact that applying heat to your hair can cause drying and breakage. Hair styling tools including hair dryers apply high heat to the hair.
As much as possible, you wouldn’t want to blow dry your hair. Even when you have long intervals between blow drying, it can still cause damage. Some people can’t avoid using a hair dryer. But, you can still do some preventive measures to limit hair damage.
- Use a hair dryer with damage control features.
- Apply heat protecting products
- Keep the hair dryer nozzle away from the hair
- Use a low heat setting
- Work with the hair dryer as fast as possible
- Remove as much excess water as you can before blow drying
Try John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum and It’s a 10 Haircare Leave-In Product.
John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum can protect your hair from heat styling damage. It also keeps hair from UV exposure damage, and leaves hair silky smooth and shiny.
The It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product is an all-around hair product with lots of benefits. Besides providing thermal protection, it also repairs and prevents hair damage. It can also enhance your hair’s natural body and volume.
It’s true that blow drying can damage your hair. But, there are times when you can’t really avoid it.
The important thing is to follow preventive measures. These include investing in a high-quality hair dryer. If you can do this, you’ll be able to prevent more breakage and frizz.