First thing first, do not panic. If you are a bleach addict, you know the potential effects of bleaching agent to your hair. But, until you begin to experience fried hair, breakage, or hair fall, you do not pay too much attention to them.
What to do with the damage?
You need to know that a damaged hair is vulnerable to chemical and some non-chemical processes. Your hair lacks moisture and oil that keep it strong. The obvious solution is to strengthen it. You need moisturizing conditioners and deep nourishing treatment to regain its health and luster. You also need to use products that close the hair cuticles to trap the oil.
The Basic Rules to Treat Damaged Bleached Hair:
- Stop using shampoo for one week
The peroxide in the bleaching solution already strips the natural sebum of your hair from tip to root. If you use shampoo, it will make the hair drier.
After one week, you can use your favorite shampoo. However, it is best to avoid shampoos which contain harsh surfactants or substances that remove excess oil and dirt. Examples are Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).
Do not attempt to use color safe shampoo. Your bleached hair cannot withstand the harsh ingredients during the damaged period.
Try using non-foaming shampoo with Peppermint, Citrus, or Argan oil that keeps your hair cuticles closed during wash time. It does not strip the natural sebum that the scalp naturally produced.
- Use cleansing conditioner for daily wash
Instead of shampoo, use a cleansing conditioner that gently cleans the hair and nourishes the strands. The extra moisture nourishes the hair and corrects the damage.
A leave-in conditioner treatment is another excellent option. Look for products that are specially formulated for hair repair and renew. Your hair will benefit from their rich moisture and protein content. It also keeps your bleached hair protected during hot or cold weather.
- Treat your hair with deep moisturizing conditioner every week
Deep conditioning products can nourish the inner hair layer. They do not only condition the surface of the hair but also the cuticle and cortex of the strands. This capability is made possible by selected ingredients that possess low molecular weight.
For a natural remedy, use conditioners with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This oil can saturate the hair shafts and repair damage. Soak your hair with Olive oil overnight to maximize its potency.
- Stop using a hair straightening/curling iron
Stay away from the heat that comes from straightening/curling iron. Even if you use heat protection, the extreme heat will make your hair drier and prone to hair fall. Moisturize your bleached hair for at least 2 weeks or until you see the strands return to their normal condition. When you feel that they are strong enough, you can resume straightening or curling your hair with the styling tool.
- Refrain from completely blowing dry the hair
Dry your hair naturally at night. Blow it dry lightly in the morning. To add volume and straighten it, use a rounded brush. A boar bristle brush is perfect for bleached hair because it effectively distributes the natural oil from roots to tips, making your locks shinier and healthier.
Proper Hair Care to Restore Your Smooth, Shiny Hair
Bleaching permanently changes the structure of your hair. It removes the natural color of the strands and penetrates the inner part. The action dissolves the melanin that provides natural hair pigment. It results in brittle, dry, fragile, and porous hair.
To prevent or limit the additional damage, take note of the following reminders:
- Use sun protection – Bleached hair is more susceptible to ultra-violet (UV) damage. Use UV protection spray to protect your hair if you go out without a head wrap. Wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Beware of chlorinated water - Before taking a dip in a swimming pool, rinse the hair with fresh water. This prevents chlorine from drying out the strands and changing the hair color. As soon as you finish swimming, wash your hair thoroughly using a hydrating shampoo and conditioner.
To treat the existing hair damage, try these:
- Get a rice water rinse – It contains Inositol which penetrates damaged hair and works to repair from inside out.
- Use almond oil- It strengthens and softens the hair. Apply a little amount of oil to the ends before you dry your hair. It reduces frizz and rehydrate the strands.
Other excellent oils are Argan oil, Jojoba oil, and Coconut oil.
- Use a hydrating mask or treatment- Treat your hair with TLC. Look for healing masks with Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein to strengthen the hair.
4-Week Treatment That You Can Follow:
If your hair is too damaged, you need extensive hair treatment to repair it. A keratin treatment is recommended for damaged bleached hair. Keratin or good fatty acids can help to “reconstruct” the hair’s healthy condition.
Three hours before you go to bed, follow this routine every day of the week:
- Apply the oil mask into your hair and leave it for 3 hours.
Coconut oil is best to use because it can easily penetrate the shafts and moisturize them from inside out, repairing the damage. When applying this oil, focus on the hair and not on the scalp. Wrap your hair with towel or reusable shower cap. The moderate heat that it creates enhances the conditioning effect of the oil.
- Rinse using a cleansing conditioner and SLS-free shampoo. These mild hair products will simply get rid of excess oil and remove dirt, keeping the hair coated with oil.
Towel dry the hair to prepare for the next step.
- Apply a deep conditioning mask generously to your hair. Use a comb to evenly coat the strands particularly the damaged parts. Leave it overnight. Wear a shower cap to protect your pillow.
- Rinse when you wake up.
- Apply or spray a leave-in conditioner with keratin content.
- Air dry your hair.
During this period, follow the 1st-week routine 3-4 times. You can do it alternately.
During the rest of the days, follow your regular regimen but always use a leave-in conditioner when you wash your hair. You can choose not to wash your hair, too.
Follow the 1st-week routine 2 times only like Monday and Friday. On other days, you can choose not to use the deep hair conditioner mask.
Do the 1st-week routine for one day only. You can select the day you want. During the rest of the week, stick on using the mild shampoo or the cleansing conditioner. Do not forget to spray your hair with a leave-in conditioner.
At the end of this 4-week hair treatment, you will notice that most of the damaged are repaired.
Is there a miracle treatment that easily fixes damaged bleached hair?
The hair industry is raving about a revolutionary product that claims to be the miracle treatment for bleached hair- the Olapex.
It is a professional VIP hair treatment offered by exclusive hair salons. Don’t despair if you cannot afford to visit any of these salons because you can buy this treatment in the Amazon. Try asking your favorite beauty care shops if they have this also.
An Olapex treatment is believed to repair the hair damage caused by thermal or chemical processes. This RESET BUTTON treatment rebuilds the hair strength and structure. It reforms the broken bonds between the hair molecules. It helps you get back your healthy, silky soft hair.
When you buy the treatment package, you get 3 bottles.
- Olapex 1 (bond multiplier) – It is concentrated and contains 100% active ingredients.
- Olapex 2 (bond perfector) – It is in cream form and has 15% active ingredients.
- Olapex 3 – (maintenance product) It is also in cream form with 10% active ingredients.
You will use Olapex 1 and 2 for the main treatment.
For DIY hair repairing treatment, follow these steps:
Attach the straw to the dosing dispenser. Remove the cap of bottle 1 then fit in the dosing dispenser. Make sure that it is perfectly fitted to prevent leakage.
- Shake the bottle of Olapex 1 lightly.
- Remove the cap of the dosing dispenser and squeeze gently to release the concentrated liquid.
- Combine 15 mg. of Olapex 1 with 90 ml. water in an applicator bottle (non-spray bottle).
- Apply the mixture in your damp hair, from roots to ends. Comb the hair to soak it thoroughly. Gently massage it into your hair a little. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Next, get the Olapex 2. Apply a generous amount to your hair then massage it gently. Use a comb to coat your hair evenly.
- Leave for at least 10 minutes. For extremely damaged shafts, keep it for 30-60 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly using shampoo and conditioner.
For the maintenance phase, use Olapex bottle 3:
- Wet your hair.
- Massage a generous amount on a towel-dried hair. Comb to ensure all hair strands are covered.
- Leave for 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes.
- Rinse, shampoo, and condition your hair.
Do the whole treatment once a week to fix your damaged bleached hair.
The bottom line
Once you restore the healthy luster of your hair, promise yourself not to subject it to harsh chemical treatments again. Give it some extra love and care.