A person loses 50 to 100 strands of hair per day. Anything more than this could mean you are suffering from an early stage of hair loss or alopecia.
About 10 percent of the hair at any given time is on its resting phase. Resting phase means the hair will fall out naturally to give room for new hair to grow.
To test if you are losing hair more than the usual average, you can try pulling about 60 strands of your hair then run your fingers through and see how many strands of hair will fall through. If over 10 percent of the 60 strands fall, then you are most likely suffering from hair loss or alopecia.
Detecting Early Signs
So how do you know you have hair loss problem?
These early signs should help you determine how severe your hair loss problem is:
- Too much hair on your pillow
- Excessive hair fall while in the shower
- Itchy scalp accompanied by dandruff
- Receding hair line
- Thinner hair
- Hair is not growing
It’s a big struggle
Everyone wants beautiful, healthy hair but not everyone is blessed. If you are one of those struggling to maintain healthy hair, you might want to check these causes to see if you have any of these conditions:
- Your medical condition
Scalp infections, ringworms and trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder) can affect your hair follicles resulting to hair fall.
Other medical conditions like diabetes, lupus, anemia, Hodgkin’s disease, eating disorders and thyroid are also causes of hair loss.
- It’s in the genes
If both or either of your parents are suffering from androgenic alopecia, chances are you will also be prone to the same problem.
- Blame your hormones
Hormonal changes due to childbirth, thyroid, menopause, and pregnancy can cause severe hormonal imbalance that could result either to temporary or permanent hair loss.
Addison’s disease is a hormonal disease that can cause hair loss.
- Medicines and medication
Cancer medicines and treatments like chemotherapy or radiation therapy can lead to hair fall/loss. Your hair will eventually grow back but there are cases when it does not grow back the way it used to be.
Some medicines for diabetes, high blood, arthritis, and depression has after effects resulting to hair fall.
- Frequent styling and treatments
Frequent hair styling and exposure to blow dryers can cause the hair to become dry and dull.
The products and treatment used on the hair can also leave residue that could build up and eventually cause hair loss due to dandruff or itchy scalp
- The food you eat
The food you eat may affect how your hair grows. Your hair needs nutrients to grow. Lack of protein can affect how your hair grows.
Prevention and Cure
Can you stop hair loss?
Can you bring back the shine and health of your hair naturally?
The answer to both questions is yes.
There are available hair treatments now that can help grow your hair fast and thick. In fact, there are products that can prevent hair loss before you become bald.
Listed are top five hair loss products that you can try:
- Rich in fatty acids and vitamins
- Helps promote hair growth and rehydration
- Castor oil restores thinning hair
- Works on all skin types
- Hexane free and no harmful additives added
- Apply a liberal amount on your scalp and hair roots focusing on areas where hair fall is excessive.
- Leave for one hour before rinsing off with shampoo.
- For best results, leave it on overnight.
- Apply at least three times a week.
- You can also mix the castor oil with essential oils like rosemary and peppermint.
Natural Hair Growth Oil with Caffeine and Biotin – Hair Growth Oil for Stronger, Thicker, Longer Hair 1.7 oz.
Features:hasten hair growth.
- Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and nutrients that help stimulate your scalp.
- Helps strengthen weak, thin hair making it fuller, thicker and healthier.
- Prevents frizz and breakage, making your hair look shiny and smooth.
- Free of chemicals and other harmful ingredients leaving your hair soft and gentle.
- Apply a few drops oil on your scalp and massage with your fingers gently.
- Leave on for 30 minutes or overnight then rinse off with shampoo.
- Apply two to four times a week.
Hair Loss Shampoo for Men and Women – DHT Blocker – Biotin for Hair Growth and Regrowth Treatment – Thicker Fuller Hair Revitalizing Shampoo
- Help stimulate circulation and follicles thus eliminates hair loss
- Helps promote fuller, thicker hair strands
- Biotin ingredients helps leave your hair more voluminous
- Effective, money back guaranteed feature
- No additives making it safe to use
- Lather the shampoo into your hair and rinse with water.
Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner for Thinning Hair Growth Thickening Shampoo for Hair Loss Treatment Natural Regrowth Shampoo Conditioner with Keratin Sulfate Free Color Treated Hair for Men & Women Set
- Biotin helps thicken and condition hair
- Has DHT blocker to prevent shedding and thinning
- Has no sulfate leaving your hair voluminous
- Safe for color treated hair
- No paraben added
- Pour enough amount of shampoo on your palm enough to start a lather.
- Gently massaged on scalp.
- Rinse with water.
ArtNaturals Argan Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner Set (2 x 16 FL oz. / 473 ml) Sulfate Free – Treatment for Hair Loss, Thinning & Regrowth – Men & Women Infused with Biotin, Argan Oil and Keratin
- Argan Oil to fight against hair loss
- Helps nourish hair and repair damage
- The combination of Argan and Vitamin E helps condition hair and leave it shiny
- Prevents frizz and split ends eliminating dry, brittle hair
- Free from harmful ingredients such as paraben and sulfate
- Apply a small amount of shampoo on your wet hair.
- Wash and lather gently.
- Rinse and wring out excess water.
- Apply a small amount of conditioner on hair and scalp massaging it gently.
- Leave in for two minutes before rinsing with water.
Going Natural – DIY Hair Growth Recipe
Hair treatments with natural ingredients are often expensive and could break your pockets.
Do not fret. Your other option is to prepare your own natural hair treatment using natural ingredients and oils.
Below are two DIY recipe for hair loss:
Hair Growth Treatment Serum
- 1 cup water – distilled
- 2 tablespoon of Nettle leaf – dried
- 2 tablespoon of fresh aloe Vera gel
- 10 drops each of Clary Sage, Rosemary and Lavender essential oils
- Make a nettle leaf infusion by boiling the cup of distilled water and dry nettle leaf.
- Set aside and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- In a clean bottle spray pour the infused water, use a strainer to separate the leaves.
- Add the essential oils and aloe Vera gel before shaking well.
- Spray a liberal amount on your hair roots once a day.
- For best results, leave the serum overnight.
- Store the serum in the refrigerator.
- Shelf life is 3 months.
- Shake well before every use.
Hibiscus Hair Growth Oil
- Wash the hibiscus flowers and leave then sun-dry until all moisture is removed.
- Infuse the hibiscus flower and leaves with coconut oil and badam oil in a double boiler under very low heat.
- Infuse for 5 minutes then cool.
- Pour the infused oil in a clean bottle and strain the leaves.
- Put a liberal amount of oil on your palm and apply it from your hair roots towards the ends of your hair.
- Massage the oil for 2 minutes on your scalp.
- Leave the oil on your hair overnight for best results.
- Rinse and shampoo your hair to wash off the oil.