5 DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask Recipes for Your Hair Needs
Having a bad hair day?
Are you looking for cost-effective hair care solutions for all your hair problems? Preferably something that won’t introduce potentially harmful chemicals to your hair and risk damaging it?
Look no further. You have found your holy grail ---- DIY hair mask.
The main component, coconut oil, is rich in vitamins and contains medium chain triglycerides that are perfect for providing hair with deep nourishment as well as getting rid of the excess sebum in the scalp. It also has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help with problems concerning dandruff, scalp acne, and inflammatory skin conditions. Coconut oil, along with aloe vera gel, is suitable in making DIY hair growth masks. Furthermore, it has fatty acids which aid in achieving a beautiful and alluring sheen. A coconut hair mask would be a great idea.
Here are five easy to make homemade hair mask recipes:
- In a mixing bowl, place 2 tablespoons of melted organic coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Mix well.
- Apply the mixture to damp or dry hair. Leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse. Shampoo and condition hair.
2. Deep Conditioning
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil (nourishes and hydrates hair)
- 2 tbsp local honey (retains moisture and strengthens hair follicles)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (strengthens hair)
- In a microwave, melt 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil and heat 2 tablespoons of local honey for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Section hair into four equal parts.
- In each of these, section hair further into half-inch bundles.
- Apply the hair mask with a use of a brush. Start from the roots and make your way into the tips.
- Massage hair using fingertips upon finishing one section. This ensures that the mask is absorbed more efficiently.
- Tie hair into a bun.
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash using a mild and natural shampoo.
For very dry hair, wear a shower cap or towel and leave the mask on for an hour or so. Rinse afterwards.
3. Nourishment and Repair
- 1 medium sized avocado (strengthens hair against breakage, revitalizes, and lubricates dry strands)
- 2 to 4 tbsp coconut oil (promotes hair growth and nourishment)
- Cut 1 medium sized avocado into chunks.
- Puree using a blender.
- Add a tablespoon spoon of water to adjust its consistency.
- Transfer this to a bowl.
- Liquefy coconut oil by immersing its container in a bowl of hot water.
- Add 2 to 4 tablespoons to the avocado puree.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Apply into dry or damp hair (more prone to breakage).
- Using your fingers, massage the mask into your scalp and cover hair strands.
- Tie hair up or use a shower cap.
- Leave it on for about 10 to 25 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly under tepid running water and wash with natural sulphate-free shampoo.
- Remove excess water.
- Dry hair with towel.
4. Hair Growth
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil (nourishes and hydrates hair)
- 1 tbsp aloe vera gel (for hair growth, has antimicrobial properties)
- 5 to 7 drops of rosemary essential oil (keeps hair follicles healthy and improves blood circulation)
Procedure:Mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil,
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel,
- 5 to 7 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Whisk thoroughly until homogenous.
- Using a clean hair dye brush, apply the mask on the scalp. Make sure to target the roots.
- Apply mask to hair.
- Tie hair up or use a shower cap.
- Leave mask on for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse under lukewarm water and wash with mild shampoo.
- Do this one a week for better results.
5. Treatment of Dandruff
- 1 part coconut oil (nourishes and hydrates hair)
- 1 part of jojoba oil (dissolves excess sebum in scalp and treats dandruff)
- Depending on hair length, estimate amounts of coconut oil and jojoba oil. Use a 1:1 ratio. For example, if using one 1/4 cup of coconut oil, you will also add to this 1/4 cup of jojoba oil. This is because 1:1 means that the quantities of both ingredients will be equal when added.
- Mix in a bowl.
- Apply to scalp and hair.
- Massage the oil into the scalp to dissolve excess sebum. Do this for a few minutes.
- Cover hair with shower cap or towel.
- Leave for about 30 minutes.
- Wash mask off with shampoo.
- Condition hair with conditioner, but skip using if you have an oily scalp.
For other great DIY recipes, check these out below:
2.) DIY shampoo
Below you will find DIY recipe manuals to your collection at home, hair masks, and hair tools for deep conditioning.
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.