Aloe vera is considered to be a wonder plant when it comes to hair care. It contains a lot of nutrients and vitamins that benefit the hair: amino acids and proteolytic enzymes boost hair growth; antifungal properties prevent dandruff form recurring; proteins, vitamins and minerals ensure voluminous hair and moisturized hair follicles, and keratin-like components, which are the structural protein of hair.
Below are five DIY hair masks recipes wherein aloe vera is the main ingredient. Since all the ingredients are natural and they don’t have preservatives, these aloe hair masks can last for several months if refrigerated.
1. Aloe vera with fenugreek powder and castor oil for hair growth.
This aloe for hair mask not only promotes faster hair growth but also leaves hair deeply conditioned.
1. Extract the juice of the aloe vera gel.
2. Thoroughly blend the aloe vera juice with castor oil and fenugreek powder in a blender until the mixture becomes smooth paste.
Apply the mask onto hair. Make sure every strand from root to tip is coated by the mixture. Cover hair with shower cap and leave it overnight. Rinse thoroughly in the morning. For faster hair growth, use the mask once a week.
2. Aloe vera mask for natural hair.
This aloe very for natural hair treatment is the easiest to make among all the recipes here, but it is as effective as the others.
- Aloe vera gel -- 2 cups
1. Blend or liquefy the aloe vera gel in a blender.
2. Pour the blended gel into a cloth strainer. Squeeze the strainer to extract the juice.
Apply the extracted juice directly onto the hair. Use fingers or a wide tooth comb to spread it evenly from root to tip. For easier application, you can pour the juice in a spray bottle. Leave it for 15-20 minutes, then rinse. It is safe to use once a week.
3. Aloe vera and Indian gooseberry for damaged hair.
It is highly recommended to use aloe for hair that is damaged because the plant contains vitamins and minerals that can repair this type of hair.
- Aloe vera gel -- 1 cup
- Indian gooseberry powder -- ½ cup
- Coconut oil -- 1 tbsp.
- Rosemary oil -- 1 tbsp
1. Extract the juice from the aloe vera gel using a cloth strainer.
2. Put the juice, Indian gooseberry powder, coconut oil and rosemary oil in a bowl. Mix them all thoroughly, making sure that it is lump-free.
Apply the mixture into hair using a dye brush. Coat all the strands. Cover the hair with shower cap and leave it for 1 hour. You can use it once a month.
4. Aloe Vera and curd for frizzy hair.
Frizzy hair is a problem for women who have curly hair because it is difficult to comb. Resorting to aloe plant for hair frizziness is a good choice as it is natural and safe.
- Aloe vera gel -- 1 cup
- Curd (or yogurt) -- 5 tbsps.
- Coconut oil -- 3 tbsps.
1. In a blender, blend the aloe vera gel, curd and coconut oil thoroughly until the mixture becomes a smooth paste.
Apply the mask onto hair using your hands. Spread it throughout, making sure that every strand is coated from root to tip. Cover the hair with a shower cap and leave it on for 30 minutes. You can treat your hair with this mask once every three weeks.
5. Aloe vera with apple cider vinegar and honey for dandruff and itchy scalp.
Aloe vera is proven to be effective in preventing the recurrence of hair dandruff because the plant has strong anti-fungal component. Mixed with other ingredients, this aloe vera for dandruff mask can be a potent agent to eliminate hair dandruff.
1. Blend aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar and honey in a blender thoroughly until the mixture turns to a soft paste.
Use your fingers to apply the paste onto your hair. Rub it gently onto hair and the scalp, making sure that every strand of the hair and every corner of the scalp is coated with this mask. Cover with a shower cap and let it stand for 30 minutes. You can repeat the process twice a month to ensure that dandruff will not recur.
For other great hair masks, check out: